If you’re looking for a big boy caliber for hunting deer, hogs or clanging heavy steel targets, the new Ruger AR-556 MPR rifle in .450 Bushmaster may be one to consider.
The rifle incorporates a Ruger muzzle brake, Elite 452 two-stage trigger and a free-float handguard with Magpul M-LOK accessory attachment slots and Magpul furniture. The M-LOK slots are designed to accept a host of accessories for easy customization.
The .450 Bushmaster is one heavy-duty caliber that delivers a lot of thump. For hunters pursuing deer or hogs, it’s a no-brainer if they do their job with shot placement. Some may think it’s overkill but if you’re wanting meat on the ground, or are trying to eliminate nusiance hogs, it’s deadly.
Here are some other features of the AR-556 MPR:
- Lower receiver is fitted with Magpul MOE grip and MOE SL collapsible buttstock on the Mil-Spec buffer tube.
- Handguard is free-floating for accuracy and the slim, 15-inch length provides enhanced ergonomics and support.
- Flattop upper receiver includes an enlarged window for easy ejection as well as forward assist, dust cover and brass deflector. CNC-machined from Mil-Spec forging and Type III hard coat anodized for maximum durability.
- Bolt is machined from high-strength superalloy, more than 50 percent stronger than traditional MSR bolt materials, and engineered with tapered lugs to support the large case head of .450 Bushmaster ammunition.
- The Ruger Elite 452 AR-Trigger is a two-stage trigger that offers a smooth, crisp, 4.5 pound trigger pull. It features a full-strength hammer spring for consistent primer ignition and a lightweight hammer that enables a 30 percent faster lock time over standard MSR triggers.
- Carbine-length gas system provides the most reliable function with .450 Bushmaster ammunition.
- Magpul M-LOK accessory attachment slots along the 3 o’clock, 6 o’clock and 9 o’clock positions with additional slots on the angled faces near the muzzle.
- Cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with ultra-precise 5R rifling and black nitrided finish provides exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning. The 1:16-inch twist rate maximizes accuracy with bullets ranging from 170 to 260 grains.
- Chrome-plated bolt carrier inside diameter and chrome-plated gas key inside diameter provide exceptional resistance to hot gases. The gas key is staked so that it will not loosen after extensive firing.